Friday, January 4, 2008

2008 goals, or fantasies

Well, I haven't made particular goals for stitching before, and I think it's evidenced by my lack of finishes. So, I'm hoping by giving myself some direction, I can accomplish more this year. I really want some substantial pieces to hang on my walls, so I've made a list of 12 medium/large projects. I am sure I won't finish all of these, since I'm sort of a slow stitcher, but at least I know they'll get done. These are the things that are currently dearest to my heart, and I am sure there will be a couple that drop off in favor of even more wonderful things I don't own yet, but these are my starts. My one rule is going to be that once it's started, I have to keep it in rotation until it's finished.

Here's my schedule:
I plan on stitching two hours a day Monday - Saturday during the day, and in the evenings if I have time. I'm scheduling four Medium/Large projects and will stitch on each of those one day a week. I'll also stitch on UFOs one day a week. The rest of the time will be for exchanges and ornaments.

Medium/Large projects
1. Desiderata by Indigo Rose - This one is started already - just a few stitches in so far. I'm putting this in my first rotation because I've wanted this one the longest. I made a lot of changes to the threads, I'll post about that as I post progress pics.

2. Lizzie Kate Double Flips - I'll be doing this one in a long panel like this model. I'm using the recommended threads and whatever looks nice when I go to the shop.

3. Inspiration by Rosewood Manor - Still need the fabric for this, which will be whatever looks good with the DMC threads called for.

4. Wedding Row by Bent Creek - I'm going to change the colors so I can use my husbands favorite color (green) and my own (purple). Our third anniversary is this year and I don't think it will be done by then - maybe by our fifth?

5. Cirque des Triangles by Ink Circles - I wanted to use Bethlehem by Weeks Dye works on a neutral fabric. But then I found some Needle Necessities (Creme de Menthe) that I think would be amazing. Of course, I only have three skeins and would need four. I am going to have to find a source for ThreadWorx (they are doing colors comparable to what NN threads used to be) to see how their alternative color looks. If I like that, I'll probably do this with medium greens on a light green background.

6. Mine All Mine Stocking by Xs and Os - for my son's Christmas stocking. He needs one before he moves out of the house! (He's 16.)

7. Japanese Octagon Box by Chatelaine - I've had the materials since the beginning of the class - I think that was 2006. I am doing this on mint green, and I need the fabric for it. I am not as enthused about this one as I was, because I have a phobia of trying to make up the box for it, but I will be darned if I'm going to put this much money into a project and not finish it.

8. Gingerbread Christmas by The Rocking Horse cross stitch store - I bought this last month because the finished model in the store suckered me into it. So sparkly! I don't have any Christmas pieces, and this should work up quickly. It was a kit, and the frame is included, so I have no excuse to procrastinate.

9. Queen of the Needle by Just Nan - I dearly love this pattern.

10. Always Kiss Me Goodnight by Forever In My Heart - I can't actually find this chart online, and I don't know where I got the pic saved to my hard drive. I can't find it on Hoffman's site, either by designer or keyword search. Also, I understand the designer is having some family problems (Her husband is quite ill, it's so sad.) So, this one might have to be dropped.

11. What A Hoot by Cat's Whiskers Design Studio - He is the cutest!

12. A Christmas stocking for myself - I haven't picked one out yet, but I have time - I'm sure it won't get into rotation until next year, anyway.

In addition to those projects, I want to participate in the Fair and Square rounds this year. I think there are five or six a year.

I also joined the Hooked on Exchanging group, so I'll be doing whatever exchanges they have through the year.

And lastly, I want to make six Christmas ornaments, and 2 or 3 RAK-type gifts for various stitching friends.

Ok - it's a little much, right? I think I will actually probably finish only two larger projects - Lizzie Kate's Double Flips and Wedding Row. But I'll have a whole bunch of smaller projects, too, and that will be - ohhh - 500% more than I did in '07.

Here's a slide show of the larger projects. If it annoys you, you can just view the Picasa album.

No comments: